by Alex Dunlap, Food & Beverage Content Relations Coordinator
It’s no secret that Disney Parks festivals are some of the best (and tastiest) around. At Walt Disney World Resort, Epcot celebrates cultures and cuisines from around the globe with four internationally-inspired festivals: the (currently running) International Food & Wine Festival, the International Festival of the Holidays, the International Festival of the Arts, and the International Flower & Garden Festival. And over a Disneyland Resort, you’ll find the Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival as well as the Disney Festival of Holidays.
Each of these events celebrates Disney storytelling through art, music, horticulture, and most importantly – FOOD! And now you can bring the flavors of all six festivals to your own kitchen with the new Disney Festivals Cookbook. Written by Disney Foodie Pam Brandon, this delicious cookbook features a collection of recipes from each Disney festival on both coasts.
This cookbook is available NOW in select merchandise locations at Epcot at Walt Disney World Resort and will be available on both coasts during each of the festivals. And on Friday, Oct. 26 from 3 to 4 p.m., you can come out to the Festival Center at Epcot for a book signing with Pam!
To give you a sneak peek, here’s a recipe from the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival – the Beef and Mushroom Burger served with brie cheese fondue and truffle and blue cheese potato chips. And if you’re at Epcot for the festival, this yummy burger can be found at the Earth Eats Marketplace located in Future World.
The Steakhouse Blended Burger with Brie Cheese Fondue and Truffle and Blue Cheese Potato Chips
From the Earth Eats Marketplace at the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival
Beef and Mushroom Burger
• 2 teaspoons canola oil
• 12 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced 1/4-inch thick
• 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
• 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
• 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
• 2 1/4 pounds ground beef, 80/20 blend
• Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper
• 4 ounces Brie cheese
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
• 1 cup whole milk
• Pinch coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon truffle oil
Truffle and Blue Cheese Potato Chips
• 2 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced very thin with mandoline
• 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
• 2 teaspoons truffle oil
• 1 teaspoon blue cheese powder or blue cheese crumbles
• 1/8 teaspoon popcorn salt
• 6 brioche buns
• 2 cups arugula
For Beef and Mushroom Burger
1. Heat canola oil in sauté pan over medium heat until oil starts to shimmer. Add mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper.
2. Cook mushrooms down until tender and liquid has evaporated, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
3. Finely chop cooled mushrooms. Transfer to large bowl and add ground beef, mixing well. Form 6 patties and refrigerate until ready to cook.
For Brie Fondue
1. Place Brie in freezer for about 20 minutes.
2. Melt butter in medium-size sauté pan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk constantly until mixture is caramel colored.
3. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly to avoid clumps.
4. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook until mixture starts to thicken.
5. Remove Brie from freezer. With sharp knife, remove rind from cheese and cut into small chunks.
6. Add cheese to milk mixture in batches, constantly whisking until all ingredients are melted and mixture thickens.
7. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
8. Finish with truffle oil just before serving. Taste and add more truffle oil, to taste.
For Truffle and Blue Cheese Potato Chips
1. Blanch potato slices in boiling water for about 2 minutes. Remove from water and dry on baking tray.
2. Add vegetable oil to deep stock pot and heat to 350°F.
3. Once oil is hot, add potatoes and fry chips until golden brown and crispy, frying in batches if necessary.
4. Remove chips from oil, drain on paper towels and place in mixing bowl.
5. Drizzle with truffle oil and gently toss; sprinkle with blue cheese powder or crumbles and salt.
1. Remove burgers from refrigerator and season with salt and pepper.
2. Grill to desired doneness.
3. Lightly grill buns on cut side.
4. Place handful of arugula on bottom of each bun, then top with burger. Ladle about 2 tablespoons of cheese fondue on top.
5. Add handful of truffle chips, then top with bun.
6. Serve immediately.
Cook’s Note: You can always use blue cheese crumbles in this recipe, or find blue cheese powder at online gourmet specialty shops. It’s made by dehydrating blue cheese and it adds a rich, velvety texture and sharp, earthy flavor—try it on popcorn or add to salad dressings and dips.
What to drink: Go red or white—a fruity red Chilean or New Zealand Pinot Noir, or a creamy, subtly oaked Chardonnay.